Man sentenced to 69 years for role in Monarch Nightclub shooting

The man convicted in connection to a deadly shooting at a nightclub will spend the next several decades behind bars.

Friday, 25-year-old Jawan Carroll was sentenced to more than 69 years (832 months) in prison.

As previously reported by 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS, Carroll was found guilty of two counts of second-degree murder for his role in the Monarch Nightclub shooting that happened in May of 2021. Carroll was also convicted of seven counts of attempted second-degree murder.

Charlie Johnson, 21, and Christopher Jones, 24, were killed during the shooting. Of the eight people who were injured, three were men and five were women.

RELATED: Suspect in custody in connection with shootout that left 2 dead, 8 injured in downtown Minneapolis

RELATED: St. Paul man faces multiple charges in connection to fatal downtown Minneapolis shooting

A complaint alleges Carroll and Jones got into an argument at the club, and Johnson was outside of the nightclub at the time, waiting for a ride. He was killed after a stray bullet hit him.

Jones died from multiple gunshot wounds, and police believe he was one of the shooters.

RELATED: Minneapolis bar owner sends letter to city, county leaders over downtown violence concerns

Prosecutors sought a sentence of 102 years, noting they’d offered Carroll a 51-year deal before the trial but he refused to accept responsibility or show remorse.

“It was a totally unnecessary, totally excessive and totally unreasonable mass shooting resulting in the deaths of two young men and serious gunshot wounds to eight others … This conduct, this unprecedented conduct, warrants and justifies the sentence that the state is seeking,” prosecutor Joshua Larson said in court Friday.

Carroll’s defense sought a little over 30 years.

RELATED: Family of St. Thomas student killed in Minneapolis shooting share memories

After Jones’ sister and Johnson’s father spoke, Carroll also addressed the judge before he was sentenced.

“I don’t believe I can express how apologetic I am for the losses both families have suffered,” Carroll said.

However, he also said he believes the jury’s decision was “slightly more prejudicial rather than being in accordance with the actual law” and didn’t take into account that he could’ve died, too.

Ultimately, Judge Paul Scoggin determined Carroll deserved to serve consecutive sentences for each murder in addition to another 15 years for the other injuries.