Renovations to be made to MSP’s Terminal 1

Renovations to be made to MSP’s Terminal 1

Leaders at the Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport and Delta Airlines gave information Thursday morning on the planned renovations for Terminal 1.

Leaders at the Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport and Delta Airlines announced details about their planned renovations for Terminal 1 on Thursday morning.

According to the Metropolitan Airport Commission (MAC), the project is expected to take several years and cost roughly $242 million, making it the largest interior, gate and concourse makeover at the airport since it opened in 1962.

MAC Executive Director and CEO Brian Ryks said the entire project is expected to be finished in 2025, with the MAC funding 75% of the cost and Delta covering the remaining 25%. This is the first time MAC has partnered with Delta on a project of this magnitude, with Delta managing the construction process.

Ryks added the project will renovate six of the seven concourses and about 75 gate areas at Terminal 1, covering about 378,000 square feet. The airport is also working to streamline check-in and security, and also expand passenger facilities.

By the time the project is completed, which is projected to be by the end of 2025, the MAC will have invested more than $1 billion over the course of a decade to modernize Terminal 1, Ryks said.

The goal is to make things brighter and more modern inside the terminal, calling it the airport modernization program.

Delta Vice President of Operations Jeannine Ashworth said most of the work will be completed overnight to minimize the impact on daily operations.

More than 60 years ago, the airport was originally made to accommodate 1.8 million passengers per year, but now, tens of millions of passengers pass through it, so renovations have been happening for decades.

Thursday’s full news conference can be found below.


MSP saw 24% increase in travelers in 2022

MSP Airport named as the best airport in North America again

MSP Airport slips to #2 spot in airport satisfaction study, Detroit captures top spot