What is open and closed on Labor Day
Labor Day is Monday, Sept. 5, 2022.
The holiday was created during the labor movement and is dedicated to the “social and economic achievements of American workers,” the U.S. Department of Labor says.
Due to the holiday, several business offices are closed on Monday. Below is a list of what is open and closed.
- The Minnesota State Fair: Monday marks the 12th and final day of the 2022 Great Minnesota Get-Together.
- Banks: Many banks follow the Federal Reserve schedule and will be closed Monday. People should check with their individual bank branches to be sure.
- Driver and Vehicle Services: People should check with local offices to verify Labor Day weekend hours. Some DMV locations may also be closed the days before and after Labor Day.
- Garbage services: Garbage and recycling pick-ups will be delayed one day.
- Grocery stores: Many major grocery store chains will be open. Costco will be closed. Pharmacies at some chains will be closed, even if the store portion remains open. Check with your local store for precise holiday hours.
- Libraries: Hennepin and Ramsey county libraries will be closed Monday.
- Mail delivery: Mail will not be delivered, and post offices will be closed.
- Mass transit: Metro Transit buses and METRO Blue, Green and Red Lines will follow their Sunday/holiday schedules. The METRO Blue Line airport shuttle will continue operations. Northstar, Twin Cities service centers, information services and the Lost & Found will all be closed.
- Minneapolis and St. Paul city government offices: City-run offices in Minneapolis and St. Paul, including Minneapolis 311 will be closed and will resume regular business hours on Tuesday.
- Parking: In some city locations, meters will not be enforced on Monday. City officials advise people to always read information posted on meters.
- Police, fire emergency services and 911: These services will not be affected by the holiday observance.
- Schools: Minneapolis and St. Paul schools will be closed. The first day of school for both districts is Tuesday, Sept. 6. Caregivers of children in kindergarten and below should check with their child’s school for precise start dates.
Find more information on KSTP’s Labor Day guide.