Officer-involved shooting under investigation in Willmar

Officer-involved shooting under investigation in Willmar

Officer-involved shooting under investigation in Willmar

Authorities say a man has been shot by an officer in Willmar.

According to a social media post by the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension early Sunday afternoon, the shooting happened during an altercation.

Willmar police say officers were called to the 300 block of 4th Street Southwest around 8:10 a.m. Sunday after a person called 911 to say someone had threatened him with a knife.

When a Willmar officer arrived, the victim was found outside, and while trying to get information from him, police say the suspect exited a nearby door and charged at the officer with a knife.

Police say the officer tried to get away from the suspect and gave repeated commands and drew his gun. However, police add the suspect continued to advance and threaten the officer with a knife, resulting in the officer firing his gun, which stopped the assault.

The suspect then ran from the scene, however, the involved officer and others were able to take the suspect into custody and gave life-saving measures, according to Willmar police.

Afterward, police say the suspect – whose age and name haven’t been released – was taken to CentraCare – Rice Memorial Hospital and then moved to a higher care facility.

The officer involved in the shooting was treated at the scene for what are considered to be minor injuries. No details have been released about the officer or how long the officer has worked in law enforcement.

The incident occurred right outside Eric Dorman’s apartment, who said he was “just trying to figure out what’s going on.”

Another Willmar resident stated, “I was kind of shocked. I’ve never seen a lot of cops like this… I want to know what happened.”

The public isn’t in any danger as of this time, police added. There is no word on if the suspect and the person who called 911 knew each other.

Bonney Bowman, the public information officer for the BCA, told 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS shortly after 1:30 p.m. Sunday the agency’s preliminary investigation is still ongoing.

This is the second time this week the Minnesota BCA has announced an investigation involving an incident in Willmar.

On Jan. 29, the agency announced it was investigating the use of a Taser by a deputy.

As previously reported by 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS, 75-year-old Michael James Yanacheak was tased by Kandiyohi County Deputy Riley Kampsen on Monday during an attempted eviction.

Despite being given medical aid by officers and being taken to a hospital, Yanacheak died. Kampsen is on standard administrative leave, and Yanacheak’s cause of death is still being investigated.

RELATED: Family of man who died in the hospital after being tased during eviction feels it could’ve been handled differently

Check back for updates.