Cloquet police: Man shot employee, guest at hotel before shooting himself

Cloquet police: Man shot employee, guest at hotel before shooting himself

Cloquet police: Man shot employee, guest at hotel before shooting himself

Authorities in Cloquet addressed the public on Tuesday morning, the morning after three people were found dead at a hotel and residents of the city were instructed to shelter in place.

During a press conference Tuesday morning, Cloquet Police Chief Derek Randall said officers were called to Super 8 just before 6:30 p.m. on Monday after an employee called 911 and said they’d found their female coworker, who looked like she’d been attacked.

Cloquet officers found a 22-year-old Cloquet woman suffering from a gunshot wound, according to Chief Randall. She was brought to St. Luke’s Hospital in Duluth, where she later died from her injuries. On Wednesday morning, police identified her as Shellby Trettel of Cloquet.

Randall said Trettel was shot inside the hotel near the front desk.

As police began investigating, they found a 35-year-old Deer River man, identified Wednesday as Patrick Jeffrey Roers, who had suffered multiple gunshot wounds inside a vehicle in the hotel parking lot. Roers was declared dead at the scene, Randall said.

A 32-year-old Ramsey man was also found dead just outside the Super 8 on hotel property with a handgun near him. An initial investigation revealed that the man died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound, according to Randall. That man was identified Wednesday as Nicholas Elliot Lenius.

After finding the bodies, Chief Randall said officials believed there was an active shooter and advised residents to shelter in place as officials took a “cautious approach.”

RELATED: Shooter, 2 victims found dead in Cloquet, police say

As responding officers secured the scene at Super 8, they used surveillance video to confirm that Lenius was the shooter, Randall said. Both Lenius and Roers were guests at the Super 8.

After firing at Trettel, officials say Lenius approached Roers in his pickup and fired multiple shots before walking a short distance away and fatally shooting himself.

Lenius’ motive is still under investigation.

During Tuesday’s press conference, Cloquet Mayor Roger Maki thanked the public for its cooperation during the incident and added that any additional details will be released at a later time.