Kids in the Kitchen: sushi bowls and caramel apple nachos
All week long, we’re sharing recipes to help get your kids and grandkids excited to cook with you! We’re excited to welcome back Emily Dingmann, the creator of My Everyday Table. Today she brought her kids, Demi and Eden to help teach us how to make sushi bowls and caramel apple nachos!
You can follow Emily on Instagram @myeverydaytable for family recipes, tips for feeding kids, and the Weeknight Dinner Club meal plan.
Sushi Bowl recipe (courtesy of Kid Kitchen by Heather Staller)
- 2 cups sushi rice
- 1 lb. cooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 tsp. soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp. mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp. sweet chili sauce
- sriracha to taste
- 3 Tbsp. rice vinegar
- 1/2 English cucumber, diced
- 1 ripe avocado, diced
- 1 cup shelled edamame
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 2 Tbsp. sesame seeds or furikake
- Nori sheets or roasted seaweed snacks, cut into strips
1. Prepare rice according to package instructions. Stir in seasoned rice vinegar.
2. Pat shrimp dry to remove any extra moisture. Chop the shrimp into bite-sized pieces, discarding the tail shells if they are still on. Place the chopped shrimp in a medium bowl. Add the soy sauce, mayo, sweet chili sauce, and hot sauce if using. Toss to coat and place bowl in the fridge to chill until ready to serve. (You could also mix the sauce ingredients in a small bowl and serve them on the side instead.)
3. Place cucumber, avocado, edamame, and carrot in separate bowls with spoons for scooping. Top the rice with the shrimp and desired toppings and sprinkle with sesame seeds/furikake and the strips of seaweed.
Caramel Apple Nachos recipe
- caramel sauce (if making sauce from scratch, include maple syrup, peanut butter and coconut oil)
- toppings (such as chopped nuts, shredded coconut, fresh fruit, crushed pretzels or cookies, hot fudge, sprinkles, etc.)
- If you’re making the caramel sauce from scratch, combine the maple syrup, peanut butter, and coconut oil in a small bowl. Microwave for 30 second increments, stirring in between until smooth.
- Set up toppings. Choose the toppings you want and place into small bowls so that everyone can access their desired toppings.
- Slice the apples! Remove the core and seeds and slice apples thinly.
- Once everything is prepped, all you need to do is put it out on a spread and let everyone dive in!