Togarashi Rice Paper Spring Roll
Chef Tom Dokman, founder of Here’s the Deal Spice Co., shows us a Monday Night Meal that is not only tasty but can get the whole family involved.
Here’s the Deal Spice Co. is offering 10% off their Spice Blends when you use the code: TCLSPRING (case sensitive).
Rice Paper Spring Roll (Togarashi)
- 1 ½ TBL – Togarashi – Here’s the Deal Spice Co.
- 3 TBL Soy Sauce
- 1/3 cup Sesame Oil
- 1 TBL Mirin (Sweet Rice Wine)
- ½ tsp Sriracha
- 1 Lime (Zest)
- ½ Lime (Juice)
- 1 TBL Mint (~ 2 Leaves)
- 1 tsp Cilantro leaves (~ 5 sprigs)
- 1 piece Jalapeño (1” x 1”)
- In a Shallow Bowl, Measure Out Liquid ingredients: 3 Tablespoons Soy Sauce, 1/3 cup Sesame oil, 1 Tablespoon Mirin, ½ tsp Siracha.
- Zest 1 whole lime into the bowl, Cut and juice half of the Lime. Add Lime Juice to Bowl. Wedge the other Half for garnish.
- Add in 1 ½ Tablespoon Togarashi – Here’s the Deal Spice Co.
- On the cutting Board, Pick 2 large Mint Leaves, Lay them on top of each other and thinly slice into Threads (Chiffonade) Place into the bowl with other ingredients
- Remove the Cilantro Leaves from the Stems, lay out on cutting board and Chiffonade, add to the bowl of other ingredients.
- Wipe off Cutting Board with a damp paper towel.
- Slice Jalapeno in half (the long way) Use Spoon to remove the seeds. Cut Jalapeno into a 1” x 1” Piece.
- Cut Jalapeno into Brunoise (1/16” x 1/16” x 1/16”) Very Small Dice. Add to bowl of ingredients.
- Stir to combine. Allow to sit for 10 Minutes before use.
Vegetable Spring Rolls
Yield: 8-10 Spring Rolls
Time: 30-40 Minutes
- 1 Packet Rice Paper (Spring Roll Wraps)
- 8 each Shiitake mushrooms – Remove stems
- 8 leaves Butter Lettuce – Rinsed, Rib Removed
- ½ each Red Bell Pepper – Julienne
- ½ each Yellow Bell Pepper – Julienne
- ½ cup Red Cabbage – Julienne
- 15 each Sugar Snap Peas – Julienne
- 1 Carrot – Peeled – Julienne
- ¼ Cucumber – Removed seeds, Peel if preferred – Julienne
Directions – Vegetables
Julienne – Cutting an Item into thin uniformed strips – Match Stick in size – ¼“ wide x ¼” thick x 2 ½ “ long
On a clean Prep area, have your Vegetables that you are preparing near your station.
- When Prepping the Vegetables, Cut each one into similar sized pieces- we recommend “Julienne Cut” (Definition above)
- Place each Spring Vegetable in its own bowl or container.
- Clean off Cutting board, organize your station.
- Fill a 12 inch diameter bowl with cold water
- Place 1 Rice Paper Wrapper in the water to soften (about 3 minutes)
- In your Medium Size bowl, place a small handful of each Julienned Vegetable inside.
- With a Large Spoon, stir your Marinade – Spoon just enough Marinade on top of your Vegetables to lightly coat them. (too much marinade will over-hydrate the wrapper and cause it to tear)
- Toss to evenly coat the vegetables – It should look like a vibrant rainbow of color.
- Gently remove the Wrapper with 2 hands, grabbing just the edge of it, and hold over bowl of water to allow excess of water to drip back into the bowl.
- Once removed from water, add in a new Rice Paper Wrapper, to hydrate while you prepare the Spring Roll.
- In the middle of the rice paper, Place Butter Lettuce down first, Green side down. This will act as a barrier between the tossed vegetables and the rice paper. It also holds all the Vegetables together.
- Toss your Marinated Vegetables again. Place a small handful of vegetables on top of the butter lettuce. Just enough to cover the butter lettuce.
- Grab the edge of the rice paper closest to you, stretch and fold over the Vegetables and butter lettuce. Tuck under the butter lettuce if possible.
- Fold in your Left and Right Side of the Rice paper, Stretch it and make it tight around the vegetables.
- Roll it up.
- Place Fold side up to air dry
- Continue the process, making more Spring rolls with the marinated vegetables.
- Once Semi Dry, Use a Sharp Knife to Cut in half, Place on a serving platter. Enjoy
Pairs best with Here’s the Deal Spice Co. – Wing Blend – Spicy Peanut Sauce!!
Spice Peanut Sauce
- ½ cup Smooth Peanut Butter
- ¼ cup Soy Sauce
- 1 TBL Rice Vinegar
- ½ TBL Garlic Clove, Rough Chop
- ¼ cup Water
- 1 TBL Pickled Ginger Juice
- ¼ TBL Sriracha
- 2 TBL – Wing Blend – Here’s the Deal Spice Co.
- 1TBL Sesame Oil
- Measure out all ingredients and add them to the blender. EXCEPT the Sesame Oil.
- Blend on High until combined and smooth. (1 minute)
- While Blender is running drizzle in 1 TBL Sesame oil.
- Blend until incorporated (30 Seconds)
- Use Rubber Spatula to transfer to a dipping bowl.
Eat and Enjoy!