Roma Tomato Pesto Chicken
Former 5 Eyewitness News anchor, Vineeta Sawkar, shows us an easy weeknight meal that’s perfect when cooking for two.
3 chicken breasts
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
4 tablespoons basil pesto
1 or 2 Roma tomatoes, sliced
1 or 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 400˚F (200˚C).
- Place chicken breast in a baking dish. Season chicken with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Spread pesto on each chicken breast.
- Layer tomatoes on top of the chicken.
- Top with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
You can use store bought pesto or make it yourself:
Fresh Basil Pesto
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed (can sub half the basil leaves with baby spinach)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Romano or Parmesan cheese (about 2 ounces)
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup pine nuts (can sub chopped walnuts)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or more to taste
- In a food processor or a blender, pulse the basil and pine nuts:
Place the basil leaves and pine nuts into the bowl of a food processor and pulse several times.
- Add the garlic and cheese:
Add the garlic and Parmesan or Romano cheese and pulse several times more. Scrape down the sides of the food processor with a rubber spatula.
- Slowly pour in the olive oil:
While the food processor is running, slowly add the olive oil in a steady small stream. Adding the olive oil slowly while the processor is running will help it emulsify and help keep the olive oil from separating. Occasionally, stop to scrape down the sides of the food processor.