Back to school reading recommendations
Lisa Von Drasek, curator of the Kerlan Collection of Children’s Literature at the University of Minnesota, is here to talk about independent reading and helping to make it fun for children heading back to school.
● “The Day You Begin” by Jacqueline Woodson, illustrated by Rafael Lopez
● “ We Don’t Eat Our Classmates” by Ryan Higgins
● “A Fine Fine School” by Sharon Creech, illustrated by Harry Bliss.
● “The Strange Case of Origami Yoda” by Tom Angleberger
● “El Deafo” by Cece Bell
● “Swimming Upstream: Middle School Poems” by Kristine O’Connell George
● “They Call Me Güero: A Border Kid’s Poems” by David Bowles
● “How to Love the World: Poems of Gratitude and Hope” edited by James Crews
● “Everything Comes Next: Collected and New Poems” by Naomi Shihab Nye