Seven MN-natives on USA Hockey women’s U18 team preparing for World Championships
Seven Minnesota natives – and three others who attend high school in the state – are part of the USA Hockey Women’s Under-18 team practicing in Blaine this week ahead of next week’s U18 Women’s World Championships in Madison, Wisconsin.
Click the video box on this page to see video of all seven Minnesota-natives on the 2022 USA Hockey U-18 team as they prepare for the World Championships, and interviews with Chisago Lakes’ Dani Burgen, Minnetonka’s Ava Lindsay and Stillwater’s Josie St. Martin
After the pandemic cancelled the 2021 Women’s U18 World Championships, the 2022 event slated to be played in Sweden back in January was also cancelled.
However, after heavy criticism, the International Ice Hockey Federation committed to postponing the event – eventually re-scheduling it for next week in Madison.
Minnesota connections on 2022 USA Hockey Women’s Under-18 World Championship roster (Pos, Name – Hometown, School):
- G Sedona Blair – Eden Prairie / Holy Family
- F Danielle Burgen – Chisago Lakes / Chisago Lakes H.S. (Minn-Duluth)
- F Claire Enright – Lakeville / Lakeville South
- D Jenessa Gadzik – Somerset, WI / Gentry Academy
- F Madison Kaiser – Andover / Holy Family
- F Ava Lindsay – Minnetonka / Minnetonka
- F Josie St. Martin – Stillwater / Stillwater
- D Sydney Morrow – Darien, CT – Shattuck-St. Mary’s
- D Emma Peschel – Edina / Benilde-St Margaret’s
- F Maggie Scannell – Wynantskill, NY – Shattuck-St. Mary’s
Chisago Lakes’ Dani Burgen is on the USA U18 team for a third straight year. She was on the U.S. team that won gold in the 2020 event and is one of only two returning players on this year’s team. She was also selected for the 2021 team, but the event was cancelled. Burgen heads to Minnesota-Duluth in the fall.
Stillwater’s Josie St. Martin is the youngest player on the team.
The United States has made it to the gold medal game in all 13 U18 Women’s World Championships, winning 8 golds and 5 silvers. The U.S has won gold in 5 of the last 6 tournaments.
The U.S. opens the 2022 U18 tourney on Monday, June 6th at LaBahn Ice Arena in Madison, Wisconsin against Sweden.
The medal games will be played on Monday, June 13th.