Twins call up former No. 1 pick Royce Lewis
KSTP Sports has confirmed the Minnesota Twins have called up top prospect and former No. 1 overall pick Royce Lewis ahead of Friday’s series opener against the Oakland A’s.
The move comes after Carlos Correa was hit by a pitch Thursday night in Baltimore. The team said early indications were a possible broken finger but team officials said Friday that Correa avoided a fracture and is day-to-day.
Earlier this week, 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS caught up with Lewis, who was anticipating his first call-up within the coming weeks.
In March, Lewis went 0-2 at the plate during an exhibition game against Atlanta, his first game in more than two years. He’s heated up during the regular season.
In 24 games with the Triple-A affiliate St. Paul Saints this season, Lewis is hitting .310 with a .430 on-base percentage and a .563 slugging percentage, with 3 home runs, 11 RBI and 8 stolen bases.
As previously reported, Lewis missed the entire 2021 season after suffering a torn ACL and reconstructive surgery.