No. 8 Woodbury football storms back to take down Centennial

[anvplayer video=”5064901″ station=”998122″]

The No. 8 Woodbury Royals defeated the No. 5 Centennial Cougars 37-20, Wednesday evening at Cougar Stadium.


The Cougars forced a turnover on downs on the first possession of the game. They then marched down the field and finished the drive when senior running back Lance Liu scored a two-yard touchdown run to make it 7-0 Centennial with 6:23 left in the first quarter.

On the ensuing Woodbury possession, Cougar senior linebacker Mason Mix picked off a Royal pass. Sophomore Cougar quarterback Daylen Cummings found junior running back Lance Nielsen Jr. for a long pass to put the ball in the red zone. From there, Cummings scored on a run to make it 14-0 Cougars with 2:00 left in the first quarter.

Early in the second quarter, Woodbury answered back when senior running back RJ Altman scored on a touchdown run to make it 14-7 with 8:21 remaining in the first half.

Centennial was attempting a field goal, but botched the snap. Royal senior Scott Hanson scooped up the ball and went on to return it for a Woodbury touchdown to make it 14-14 with 2:55 left in the half.

Following a Woodbury interception by senior defensive lineman Matt Mogck, Woodbury’s sophomore quarterback Geroger Bjellos scored on a long run to make it 21-14 Royals with 8:50 left in the third quarter.

Centennial would answer right back. Senior running back Riley Dougherty had a huge run to put the Cougars in great field position. Then, Liu scored his second rushing touchdown of the game. The extra point was blocked, making it 21-20 Woodbury with 4:38 left in the third quarter.

Woodbury then put together an impressive drive to respond. The drive ended with another touchdown run from Altman. Woodbury converted a two-point conversion to make it 29-20 with 11:00 remaining in the game.

Woodbury forced another turnover on downs late in the fourth. On the first play of their offensive possession, Altman broke a long touchdown run to ice the game. Following a two-point conversion, the score was 37-20 Royals with just 2:46 left in the game.