MDH files lawsuit against Lakeville restaurant for operating without license

KSTP
Updated: January 23, 2021 08:51 PM
Created: January 23, 2021 09:43 AM

The Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) filed a lawsuit on Friday against Alibi Drinkery, located in Lakeville, for operating as a food and beverage service without a license.

MDH notified Alibi Drinkery on Dec. 22, 2020, that its license to operate as a food and beverage service establishment would be suspended after twenty days. Separately, that license to operate as a food and beverage service establishment expired on Dec. 31, 2020. Alibi Drinkery continues to operate as a food and beverage establishment without a license, in violation of Minn. Stat. § 157.16

“We do not take enforcement actions lightly,” said Assistant Commissioner Dan Huff. “Even when there is no pandemic, the public depends upon the licensing of bars and restaurants as a basic public health measure – which is why the legislature requires that bars and restaurants have an active license in order to serve the public.”

Court finds Lakeville restaurant in contempt, imposes $3,000 per day fine

The lawsuit, filed on Friday in district court, follows several regulatory actions from MDH, the Department of Public Safety and the Attorney General’s office, including a cease-and-desist order, operating license suspension notice, liquor license suspension notice, and an additional ongoing lawsuit, said MDH.

Gov. Tim Walz issued Executive Order 20-99 on Nov. 18, 2020. The executive order prohibited bars and restaurants from offering on-premises dining. The executive order was issued at a time of rapid acceleration in the spread of COVID-19 across Minnesota and sought to protect Minnesotans while also preventing hospitals and health care systems from becoming overwhelmed by the surge in cases.

According to MDH, in December, the establishment announced in a social media post that it was open and welcoming customers to come in for food and drinks. Photos of customers eating and drinking in violation of the executive order were published on social media and in the news. MDH issued a cease-and-desist order and license suspension notice.

Lakeville, Albert Lea businesses facing 5-year liquor license revocation for COVID-19 violations

Since then, MDH staff found in follow-up inspections that the establishment continued to operate in violation of these notices and regulatory actions.

“The vast majority of businesses are doing their best to help slow down the spread of COVID-19,” said Huff. “Establishments who operated in defiance do not get a free pass. Thousands of other bars and restaurants made sacrifices for the protection of our public health, and we are grateful for their cooperation and selflessness.”


Copyright 2021 - KSTP-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company

Comment on Facebook

LIVE VIDEO: State vs. Chauvin: Court reconvenes to hear motions

6 new COVID-related deaths, 473 newly reported cases in Minnesota

Police ask for help finding missing endangered man in Minneapolis

Fully-vaccinated people can gather without masks, CDC says

Retired judge says watch the trial of Derek Chauvin 'like a juror would'

State vs. Chauvin: Trial begins, background on the case