Brooklyn Park man sentenced in 2019 north Minneapolis drive-by shooting

Michael Ferguson Photo: Hennepin County. Michael Ferguson

KSTP
Updated: January 20, 2021 01:56 PM
Created: January 20, 2021 01:22 PM

A Brooklyn Park man has been sentenced to 30 years in prison in connection to a fatal drive-by shooting that happened in 2019 in north Minneapolis. 

According to court documents, 26-year-old Michael Lashone Ferguson has been convicted of second-degree murder in a drive-by shooting. He was acquitted of second-degree murder without intent as well as first-degree murder with intent. He will serve the remainder of his 30-year sentence, with 484 days counting towards time served. 

A criminal complaint says authorities were called on the evening of Aug. 24, 2019, after reports of a shooting in the 2000 block of Aldrich Avenue. When officers arrived, they learned a victim had been taken to the hospital. The complaint says the victim—later identified as Watkins—died as a result of his injuries.

Man found guilty in 2019 north Minneapolis shooting

A witness later spoke to authorities and identified the gunman in the shooting as Ferguson.

Surveillance video from the area also showed Ferguson shoot at a group of men who had gathered on Aldrich Avenue, according to the complaint. Ferguson was later arrested in Milwaukee.


Copyright 2021 - KSTP-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company

Comment on Facebook

1 dead, 1 hurt in shooting near George Floyd memorial

Minnesota man carries new outlook 1 year into pandemic

MDH: Over 1M Minnesotans with at least 1 COVID vaccination; 12 new deaths reported

Biden, Dems prevail as Senate OKs $1.9T virus relief bill

Sheriff: Driver taken to hospital after multi-county pursuit

Walz touts Minnesota vaccine program for educators, child care workers on milestone day