Red Wing closes roads, offers residents sand as river rises
As flooding is anticipated on the Mississippi River, the city of Red Wing is responding to minimize the potential impact on residents and businesses.
Current water levels on the river are at 11.37 feet, according to the city. By next Wednesday, levels are expected to reach 15 feet.
Because of the anticipated flooding, the city has closed a number of streets and parks over the weekend. Those closures include:
- Access to the public boat launch at Frazier Street,
- Clovill Park and boat ramp,
- Levee Road west of the roundabout,
- Bay Point Park and boat ramp,
- East Fifth Street at Barn Bluff.
The city is also providing sand for bagging purposes for residents. The sand can be found at the city’s lot at 2050 Levee Road.