UPDATE: Victim identified in fatal West St. Paul stabbing; suspect in custody

[anvplayer video=”4843122″ station=”998122″]

Police are investigating a homicide that left one person dead in West St. Paul Monday morning.

West St. Paul Police said officers were called to a disturbance at about 4 a.m. at a home on the 1500 block of Christensen Avenue.

When officers arrived, they found a man suffering from multiple stab wounds. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

One man was arrested at the scene in connection to the death, and police added there's no danger to the public.

The suspect taken into custody was later identified as 38-year-old John C. Adams II. He was booked into Dakota County Jail on probable cause second-degree murder and is expected to be charged later this week.

The victim, identified as David Eugene Rahn, 68, of West St. Paul, died of multiple sharp force injuries, according to the Hennepin County Medical Examiner.

Neighbor Emily Brown woke up to police cars and investigators down the block.

"It's a quiet area," Brown said. "I was really surprised to hear about that."

The home is a community-based services home operated by the Minnesota Department of Human Services. DHS Commissioner Jodi Harpstead issued the following statement to KSTP Monday afternoon:

"Ensuring the safety of every resident and staff member in a DHS-operated facility is our top priority. That is why this incident is both rare and tragic for everyone involved. Our hearts go out first to the victim and his family and friends who will be mourning his loss.

"Incidents of this severity are extraordinarily unusual at DHS inpatient or residential facilities. We are assisting police in their ongoing investigation and have begun our own internal review of this heartbreaking attack. This is traumatic for the other resident of the home and our staff members, so we are also making sure that they get the care that they need. Under data privacy laws, we cannot provide any further information about our clients or staff."

DHS also confirmed both men were residents of the group home, and one other resident plus a staff member were at the home at the time of the stabbing.

Police said they don't plan to release more details until formal charges are filed in the case.

The investigation remains active.