UPDATE: Student in custody after shots fired inside Plymouth Middle School

[anvplayer video=”5025085″ station=”998122″]

A student is in custody after shots were fired inside of Plymouth Middle School Monday morning.

During a news conference mid-morning Monday, Plymouth Police Chief Erik Fadden said officers "heard what they recognized as gunshots within the building" at about 8:44 a.m.

Police responded and took one person, identified as a student, into custody. Fadden said a weapon was recovered from the scene.

Robbinsdale Area Schools Superintendent Dr. Stephanie Burrage said "multiple" shots were fired into the ceiling of a hallway outside of a bathroom.

Burrage said a few students witnessed the incident.

"Any child that has to witness that at school, it’s a challenging day," Burrage said.

Fadden stated no injuries have been reported and that the scene has been contained. An earlier post from Robbinsdale Area Schools stated students are safe.

"We know this was a scary and traumatic event for everyone at Plymouth Middle School, and across the district. Please know that each district school has a support team that includes school counselors, school psychologists, social workers and others who are available to work with students as they cope with the things they’re feeling and experiencing due to this incident," Burrage wrote in a Facebook post on Monday afternoon.

Some parents say they were frustrated to hear about the situation from their high schoolers, rather than an email from the district.

"You tell me this happened at 8:44 a.m. this morning, school starts at 8:10 a.m., and it took over an hour to notify us and we don’t get a voicemail or anything," JoAnn Adams said.

"It’s a good school, I love this school, I have never had a problem with this school besides now," said Breanna Moore, the parent of an eighth-grader. "And he won’t be back here."

Students KSTP spoke with described the situation.

"Me and my two friends were in the hallway and then, like, I’d say it was about three feet behind me where the gunshot went off, like at least three shots. I see the ceiling and I saw some dust or something," Jaydon Soukhaphon, an eighth-grader said. "Me and my two friends ran, we got split up. I ran with the teachers into the gym and we were all couped up in a locker room."

"I left really early because I heard the shot right when it went off and I was the one to tell the police officer," added 7th grader Jamarion Cohen. "There was a bunch of people running and screaming as I was leaving out the seventh-grade wing."

Burrage issued the following statement later in the day Monday:

Today continues to be a challenging day for our students and staff at Plymouth Middle School. I’m writing to you in an effort to dispel rumors that are making their way around social media and may be shared in other ways.

Specifically, some people have alleged that the student who brought a gun to school yelled, "Black lives don’t matter."

This is totally false information according to eyewitnesses and those investigating the incident.

It’s also important to note that while this matter is still being investigated, there isn’t a lot that we can share.

Additionally, we are now in the process of reuniting students with their parents who have arrived at the reunification site Armstrong High School’s east parking lot.

District leaders and members of the District Crisis Team are at Plymouth Middle School, where learning is still in process. They will remain on site throughout the day.

Thank you for understanding and for your continued patience and support.

[anvplayer video=”5024934″ station=”998122″]

[anvplayer video=”5024932″ station=”998122″]

[anvplayer video=”5024914″ station=”998122″]