Tuesday marks 10-year anniversary of Accent Signage shooting
Tuesday, many are remembering a mass shooting event in Minneapolis 10 years ago.
The shooting, which happened at Accent Signage just after 4:30 p.m., resulted in the deaths of multiple people.
As previously reported, the incident was the deadliest workplace shooting in the state.
Andrew Engeldinger, who police say had been terminated from his position earlier in the day after 12 years of employment, went on a shooting rampage before taking his own life.
Tim Dolan, who was then the Chief of the Minneapolis Police Department, said Engeldinger came back to the workplace at about 4:25 p.m., parked his car, and walked into the loading dock area where he began shooting people. However, Dolan had said Engeldinger appeared to have spared some of his former colleagues.
Among those shot were John Souter, Rami Cooks, Reuvin Rahamin, Jacob Beneke, Rod Edberg, Keith Basinski and Eric Rivers.
Rahamin, Beneke, Edberg and Basinski all died at the scene, while Cooks and Rivers later died at an area hospital. Souter and another person who was grazed by a bullet were treated for injuries.
Police said there were more than two dozen people were inside the business at the time of the shooting.
A lawsuit filed years after the shooting centered on the company’s management team. It alleged after management changes following the shooting, the company’s new chief executive officer and general manager, the new director of operations and the new production manager conspired with another signage company to form a new business, Proxy Signs, despite entering an agreement with Accent Signage prohibiting them from disclosing confidential information.
The lawsuit alleged those former members of the management team planned to unlawfully gain access to Accent Signage’s top customers, confidential information, and proprietary production techniques and processes.