Minneapolis police arrest man who shot at them early Sunday morning

Suspect in custody after firing at MPD officers

Suspect in custody after firing at MPD officers

Minneapolis police say a suspect is in custody after shooting at them early Sunday morning.

Police first responded to a report that a man, later identified as Kamau Evans, had broken into a woman’s home in the 2400 block of Ogema Place in south Minneapolis around 3:10 a.m. 

There, a 41-year-old woman reported that Evans, the father of her children, broke into her home, assaulted her and threatened to kill her. The woman’s 19-year-old and infant sons were also in the home, with no injuries being reported.

Police also learned that she had an order for protection against Evans and that he had multiple warrants for assault in Anoka, Steel and Blue Earth counties. 

Later, just before 3:30 a.m., police responded to shotspotter activation and 911 calls reporting gunfire in the 2300 block of West Broadway. 

Officers learned Evans reportedly shot out a patio door, entered the home and was threatening a 74-year-old woman, a 23-year-old man and a 7-year-old child. It was determined that the three people threatened in the home were related to the 41-year-old woman.

Police say they then made entry through a side entrance to the home. It was then that Evans fired at least one gunshot in the home at police officers.

Minneapolis police say the officers then retreated and did not return fire.

Evans then retreated to the second floor of the home, where he jumped out of a window, landed on a porch, and tried to run away on foot. Police say Evans was then arrested and brought to HCMC for apparent non-life-threatening injuries from jumping out of the window.

He was booked into Hennepin County Jail for first-degree assault.

Officers say a handgun was recovered from the backyard and Evans had active warrants for assault and weapons charges. 

Minneapolis police add the 74-year-old woman was brought to North Memorial Hospital for non-life-threatening injuries and the 7-year-old was brought to North Memorial Medical Center for medical evaluation. The 23-year-old man reported no injuries.

“I am incredibly grateful for the bravery of the Minneapolis Police Officers who responded, entered to confront an armed suspect, put their lives on the line, and exercised extreme restraint under the most difficult of conditions,” said Minneapolis Police Chief Brian O’Hara. “We emphasize the sanctity of human life as being paramount in all we do. This is what that looks like. We pray that all involved can recover from this trauma.”

Click below to watch Chief O’Hara’s press conference regarding the incident: