Police: Man fatally shoots daughter’s boyfriend during break-in

[anvplayer video=”5099997″ station=”998122″]

UPDATE: St. Paul police say one man is dead following an overnight shooting in the city’s Hamline-Midway neighborhood.

Police say the shooting happened around 1:30 a.m. Friday on the 1200 block of Hewitt Avenue.

During a news conference held late Friday morning, police said they were called to the area for a report of a man who had been shot while breaking into a residence. (You can watch the news conference in its entirety in the video player above.)

When they arrived, they found a man who lived in the residence where the shooting took place down the street, who told police his daughter’s boyfriend broke into the residence and threatened his daughter.

That’s when the man said he shot his daughter’s boyfriend.

Officers then entered the residence and found a man in his 30s who wasn’t breathing. He died at the scene.

As of this time, none of the involved parties have been identified.

No one else has been arrested in the case.

The investigation is ongoing, and the man who fired the gun was brought in for questioning before being released, according to police. They say the Ramsey County Attorney’s Office will review the case to decide if charges will be filed.

This was the second fatal shooting of the night in St. Paul, as police say one person died and another was seriously injured around 9:15 p.m. Thursday on the 400 block of Maryland Avenue West.

RELATED: 1 dead, 1 injured in overnight St. Paul shooting

St. Paul police say the two shootings that happened within five hours of each other are not related.

According to police, 55 people have been shot in the city as of April 1, and this time last year, about 45 people had been shot. In addition, they say this incident was the 13th homicide in the city for 2022, while last year at this time, there were nine homicides in the city.

A previous version of this article can be found below.

[anvplayer video=”5099990″ station=”998122″]

[anvplayer video=”5099967″ station=”998122″]

INITIAL REPORT: Police are investigating an incident that caused a large police presence in St. Paul overnight.

A 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS photographer was at the scene of an investigation around 2:30 a.m. Friday near Hewitt Avenue and North Griggs Street.

The area was blocked off due to the investigation.

St. Paul police have not stated what happened, or if anyone was injured.

Check back for updates as more information becomes available.