Man shot, killed outside Target in St. Paul’s Battle Creek neighborhood

Man dies after shooting outside St. Paul Target

Man dies after shooting outside St. Paul Target

A homicide investigation is underway after a shooting Thursday morning in St. Paul’s Battle Creek neighborhood.

According to St. Paul Police Sgt. Mike Ernster, officers were called to a reported shooting in the parking lot of the Target on Suburban Avenue at 9:51 a.m. While en route, officers were told that a man suffering from apparent gunshot wounds was dropped off at the fire station near the Target parking lot.

Firefighters and paramedics at the station provided aid to the man but he died at the fire station, Ernster said.

Ernster added that investigators believe the shooting happened in the Target parking lot but the investigation is still ongoing.

“Yeah, it’s very brazen. The fact that somebody would engage in a shooting in the middle of a Target parking lot at 10 a.m. on a Thursday is beyond anyone’s normal thought pattern,” Ernster said. “The fact that people are choosing to use weapons possibly to solve differences or whatever they’re doing is crazy.”

Police are asking anyone who saw anything suspicious in the area at that time to call 651-266-5650.

Ernster added that police also ask anyone with information about someone illegally carrying a gun to call police before something like this happens.

St. Paul police in the parking lot of the Target store located on White Bear Avenue on Thursday, April 6, 2023. (Credit: Joel Doering/KSTP-TV)

Although crime scene tape could be seen outside of a fire station located in the area, a spokesperson for the St. Paul Fire Department said the shooting didn’t involve the fire department, and all staff members are safe.

Early Thursday afternoon, Target officials said the store near the shooting location will be closed for the rest of the day. A spokesperson issued the following statement to 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS:

“Following a fatal shooting in the parking lot of our East St. Paul store this morning, we can confirm that all other guests and team members are safe. Our team immediately called 911 and secured the store. The St. Paul Police Department is on-site, and the store will be closed for the remainder of the day as they investigate. Target will provide law enforcement with any information needed, and we will refer additional questions to them at this time.”

Joe Unger, Target Spokesperson

[anvplayer video=”5171337″ station=”998122″]