St. Paul man facing felony charges after running another man over Sunday in Wayzata

A St Paul man is being charged with two felonies after running over a man last week in Wayzata.

Ladel Terrel Garron, 27, is facing charges of second-degree assault with a dangerous weapon and criminal vehicular operation with substantial bodily harm and leaving the scene, which could mean up to 10 years in prison.

Shortly before 5:15 p.m. Sunday, Wayzata police responded to a report of someone being run over by a car, which subsequently left the scene, in a parking lot off of Wayzata Boulevard near Glenmoor Lane, according to a criminal complaint. A witness told police that they saw a white car speeding as it entered the lot, turn around in an "erratic manner" by the building, then speed back toward the street, when it struck a parked SUV’s bumper.

The victim was standing aside the SUV, the complaint states, then ran around the front of Garron’s car. Garron drove forward striking the SUV’s bumper again, then proceeded to run the victim over and pin him under the car.

Garron got out of the car, according to the complaint, and told bystanders to lift his vehicle off of the victim, which they did. He then got back in the driver’s seat, reversed — hitting the SUV again — and sped off, leaving the scene.

The victim was taken to the hospital; he had two fractures to his pelvis.

Police identified the vehicle’s owner as Garron and he matched the physical description given by witnesses. The victim told police that Garron was a drug dealer from whom he had bought drugs before and that it was he who ran him over, the complaint details. With a warrant, police found that Garron had called the victim five times in a three-hour period right up until the crash.

On Monday, officers seized the white car with damage on Blaisdell Avenue South in Minneapolis. Surveillance video showed the car being parked and a man matching Garron’s appearance getting out that day.

On Tuesday, Garron reported his car missing or stolen to Minneapolis police. According to the complaint, police told him he was being arrested on suspicion of attempted homicide. Those booking charges expired after 36 hours.

He was booked into Hennepin County Jail on Tuesday morning and posted a $20,000 bond and was released Friday night. A judge ordered him stay away from the victim’s home. He has a hearing set for Nov. 3.