Perham man accused of fatally shooting, stabbing roommate

A Perham man is accused of killing his roommate by stabbing him in the eyes and shooting him repeatedly after a disagreement over a firearm.

Court documents show Derek Sweere has been charged with one count of murder in the second degree and one count of possessing ammunition or any firearm – conviction or adjudicated delinquent for crime of violence.

According to the criminal complaint, on Monday at 10:05 p.m. the Perham Police Department responded to a call for assistance on the 600 block of 1st Avenue in Perham, Minnesota.

An officer arrived at the residence and spoke to 40-year-old Sweere, who had a significant amount of blood on him. The officer asked what happened. Sweere accused his roommate, later identified as deceased Brandon Snyder, for biting his arm, so he said he killed Snyder but claimed self-defense in doing so.

Sweere then said he stabbed Snyder and shot him 15 times, according to the complaint.

After the officer placed Sweere in the squad car, he located Snyder on the floor in a doorway with a large amount of blood. EMT personnel arrived and pronounced Snyder dead.

Sweere was transported to the Perham Police Department where he stated after the Miranda that he had had a few beers and some brandy that night, but claims he was not intoxicated. He denied using any drugs, including prescriptions. He admitted that he had been prescribed medications but had decided to go off them about three months prior.

The complaint stated that Sweere was asked again what happened to him. He explained he caught Snyder holding his .22 caliber Model 60 Marlin firearm in a room that was off-limits to other people. When confronting Snyder, he refused to give the firearm back, which caused them to started fighting.

Sweere stated he punched Snyder first because he took the firearm.

He told Snyder, "You're my friend, you're my friend, I'm going to kill you," according to the complaint.

Sweere had his legs wrapped around Snyder, so he could not get off of him. Then, Sweere grabbed a folding knife and stabbed Snyder in the left eye "about two inches" and then also his right eye, the complaint states.

Snyder then quit fighting. Sweere went to get his rifle that was loaded and shot Snyder 15 times, stating Snyder was already dead when he shot him.

Sweere then retrieved a 270-caliber rifle from the corner of his bedroom and shot Snyder one time.
The Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension assisted in the investigation and asked Snyder's mother, Michelle Snyder, about the incident.

She stated that she received text messages from her son that he feared Sweere and wanted to leave the residence. Snyder had contacted her to come get him right before the incident.