Officer released from hospital after suffering serious injuries in Willmar incident

The Minnesota Department of Public Safety Bureau of Criminal Apprehension (BCA) on Tuesday identified the officers who discharged their weapons during an incident that happened on May 1 in Willmar.

Both officers are on standard administrative leave. Officer Nicole Wortham discharged her firearm and Taser. She has been with the Willmar Police Department since 2017. She was seriously injured in the incident, suffering multiple knife wounds. The BCA says Wortham was released from St. Cloud Hospital on Saturday. Officer Noah Maschino, who has been with the department since last year, discharged his Taser in the incident.

The Midwest Medical Examiner's Officer also identified the man who died during the incident as a 38-year-old Jose Reyna Lozano, of Willmar. According to the medical examiner, he died of suicide due to a sharp force injury to the neck.

The BCA continues to investigate the incident at the request of the Willmar Police Department.

Willmar officer seriously injured, subject dead after early morning incident

Willmar police officers responded to a 911 call of a domestic incident at a home located on the 800 block of Mary Avenue SE at about 5:40 a.m. Wortham arrived first and located Lozano in an upstairs bedroom. When Wortham found him, Lozano held a knife and had a box cutter to his throat. The BCA states when Lozano ignored the officer's commands to drop the weapon, Wortham deployed her Taser, striking him. At one point Lozano had cut his throat. A struggle then ensued during which he stabbed Wortham multiple times in the neck and shoulder, the BCA said. Wortham also discharged her gun, striking Lozano in the leg.

When Maschino arrived, he located Lozano on the bedroom floor. He was continuing to threaten himself and Wortham with the knife. Maschino then used his Taser on Lozano and ultimately placed him in handcuffs. At one point, Lozano lost consciousness, according to the BCA.

Maschino and additional responding officers attempted lifesaving measures on both Lozano and Wortham. However, Lozano was pronounced dead at the scene. Officer Wortham was taken by ambulance to Carris Health-Rice Memorial Hospital in Willmar and then airlifted to St. Cloud Hospital.

Police add at some point during the incident, a woman in the house suffered a knife injury. She was treated at Carris Health-Rice Memorial Hospital and released.

Portions of the incident were captured on body camera video.

The BCA investigation is ongoing. When completed, the BCA will present its findings without recommendation to the Kandiyohi County Attorney's Office for review.