Minneapolis toddler who police say died suspiciously identified
The name of a two-year-old Minneapolis boy who police say died suspiciously earlier this month has been released.
According to the Hennepin County Medical Examiner’s Office, Ona’Je Prince Sincere Jackson died Wednesday, May 4 at Hennepin Healthcare.
As of this time, the cause and manner of death are still being investigated, however, police had previously said Jackson’s death was the 32nd homicide in the city so far this year.
In addition, the Minneapolis Homicide Investigation and Crime Lab are the agencies investigating the boy’s death.
Police told 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS one person has been taken into custody for Jackson’s death, however, an investigation is still underway.
As previously reported, police were called to an apartment near the intersection of 24th Street East and Oakland Avenue at about 5:15 p.m. after receiving a report of a child not breathing.
That’s where police say they found Jackson, who was with his mother. They began life-saving measures before Jackson was hospitalized. He then died at the hospital.
Jackson’s four-month-old brother was also evaluated. A complaint states the baby was found to have multiple injuries, including bruising, possible burn marks and a possible chemical burn, as well as blood in the right eye.
As previously reported, the children’s mother, 25-year-old Navonna West, was charged with two felony counts of malicious punishment of a child for her four-month-old son.
Anyone with information on the incident is asked to call CrimeStoppers at 1-800-222-8477 or submit a tip online.