Minneapolis Office of Police Conduct Review to examine no-knock warrant policy
The Minneapolis Office of Police Conduct Review is planning a special review of the Minneapolis Police Department’s no-knock warrant policy.
The agency cites the Feb. 2 fatal shooting of Amir Locke as reason for the special review, which was announced Monday.
Locke was shot and killed by a Minneapolis police officer while the department was executing a search warrant connected to a St. Paul homicide investigation.
According to the agency, which is part of the city’s Civil Rights Department, the review “will focus on identifying and recommending specific changes and improvements to departmental policy and procedures.”
“First and foremost, I want to acknowledge the tragic death of Mr. Amir Locke,” Interim Civil Rights Director Alberder Gillespie said in a statement. “Amir’s life mattered. There are no words to express the depths of our sympathy for Mr. Locke’s family and loved ones.”
The Office of Police Conduct Review reports it is also tasked with investigating officer misconduct complaints, which is a separate process from any policy review and takes place independently.
“To ensure the integrity of the review and any related investigations, information will not be shared until it is legally permitted,” the agency stated.
5 EYEWITNESS NEWS previously reported the city’s Police Conduct Oversight Commission has been working with the Office of Police Conduct Review since last year on a study surrounding the use of no-knock warrants over the past two years.
“I am fully supportive of Interim Director Gillespie’s vision and quick action in mobilizing the Office of Police Conduct Review to pursue this work and I trust we’ll have a stronger process for it,” Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey said in a statement. “This important review will complement our engagement with external experts to provide needed clarity around the impacts of these policies for both community and officers.”