Fire knocked down at Cedar-Riverside neighborhood restaurant
Crews were at the scene of a restaurant fire in the Cedar-Riverside neighborhood of Minneapolis early Friday.
According to the Minneapolis Fire Department, the fire happened at the Masha Allah restaurant, at Cedar Avenue and South Sixth Street, just before 5:30 a.m.
The department reported the fire was found in the kitchen in a grease chute.
The fire spread to the second floor above the kitchen, the department stated, where there are apartment units.
Firefighters were able to knock the fire down and were checking for any remaining hotspots.
In an update later Friday morning, firefighters said that due to damage from the fire, the building will be shut down and has been deemed uninhabitable.
Information on whether anyone was hurt was not immediately released, though firefighters were unable to locate the building’s tenants so the Red Cross was not called, the department reported.
Crews have fire extension knocked down, continuing to overhaul and check for hotspots on first and second floor, the kitchen area, located at the rear of the building.— Minneapolis Fire (@MinneapolisFire) April 2, 2021