1-year-old airlifted to hospital after Verndale fire

A 1-year-old girl was airlifted to a hospital Wednesday night after a house fire in Verndale.

The Wadena County Sheriff’s Office said deputies and firefighters were called to the 400 block of Brown Street Northwest at 9:42 p.m. At the time, a report stated a child was still inside the burning home.

When authorities arrived at the scene, they saw flames coming from an upstairs window near the child. Authorities attempted to get to the child but heat and smoke made the area inaccessible, the sheriff’s office said.

Firefighters were then able to get to the child through the upstairs window.

The child was taken to a hospital by ambulance and then airlifted to another hospital. The sheriff’s office said the child’s mother was also transported to a hospital by ambulance for treatment of smoke inhalation and burns. Their statuses were unknown as of Thursday morning.

The fire remains under investigation.