St. Paul man faces murder charges for fatal shooting Thursday evening

A St. Paul man faces two counts of second-degree murder in connection to a fatal shooting Thursday evening.

Xavion Tyrece Bell, 21-years old, faces one count of second-degree murder with intent and one count of second-degree murder without intent, court records show.

According to the criminal complaint, St. Paul Police were called to a report of a shooting outside of a supermarket near the intersection of Maryland Ave and Arundel St. shortly after 9 p.m. on Thursday evening. The complaint says multiple callers claimed they heard between 20 to 40 shots fired.

The complaint says police arrived to find one man in the intersection with a gunshot wound to his head. The man, identified as ‘DF,’ had “a handgun partially in his hand” and police found “a permit to carry a firearm” in his wallet. He was pronounced dead at 9:28 p.m.

The St. Paul Police Department confirmed on Friday that the man killed was a 21-year-old man named Dion Ford.

According to court documents, the first officers on scene also noted another man, later identified as Xavion Bell, being carried to a nearby vehicle. The complaint says police stopped the vehicle from leaving the scene and found Bell had a gunshot wound to his back.

Surveillance video showed Ford entering both the supermarket and a restaurant next door before walking to his vehicle, court records say.

Bell allegedly approached Ford, and the two interacted near a vehicle.

The complaint then says that “Bell opened the driver’s door and leaned inside it,” at which point Ford
“pulled out a firearm, and shot Bell.”

“Bell fell to the ground and returned fire,” and struck Ford, court records allege. “Bell fired at DF again and DF slumped over never to move again.”

Bell is currently hospitalized as a result of his injuries.

Court records say he has a prior conviction for aggravated robbery in the first-degree and has two criminal cases pending against him.

Separate pending cases against Bell include three charges of kidnapping and three charges of aggravated robbery in the first degree, while the other pending case has two charges of aggravated robbery in the first degree.