Walz authorizes state disaster assistance for Morrison County

Gov. Tim Walz on Thursday authorized emergency assistance for Morrison County for damage sustained from rain and heavy snow during a severe winter storm on March 29, 2020.

According to the Governor's Office, the storm caused extensive damage to public infrastructure, including rural electric distribution systems.

"It is our responsibility to step up when unexpected weather events damage our communities," said Walz. "We will work closely with the residents of Morrison County to rebuild public infrastructure and speed their recovery from this disaster."

A state/county preliminary damage assessment identified more than $244,000 in eligible damages last month. The authorization allows the State Disaster Assistance Contingency Account to cover 75% of those costs, which is about $183,000, with the county responsible for the remaining 25%.