The Minneapolis Foundation announces Fund for Safe Communities grant recipients
Tuesday, The Minneapolis Foundation announced the recipients of $623,725 in grants from its Fund for Safe Communities.
A total of 31 groups were selected for grants in the first round of funding. Another round of grants will be announced later this summer, the foundation said.
"Violence is a problem that has always been with us, and one violent death in Minneapolis is one death too many," said Chanda Smith Baker, Senior Vice President of Impact at The Minneapolis Foundation. "This summer’s horrific challenges have only intensified the urgency of this issue, and we are doubling down on our efforts to support the many local leaders who are doing high-impact work to reduce violence in their communities."
The Minneapolis Foundation said the grants will support organizations that applied for funding in the spring. Following George Floyd’s death, the foundation also committed an additional $500,000 to the Fund for Safe Communities.
The foundation added that it prioritized groups led by minorities and those grounded in the needs of diverse Minneapolis neighborhoods for the grants.
Below is a list of the groups selected for the grants:
- A Mother’s Love Initiative
- African American Center of Minnesota
- American Indian Community Development Corporation
- Appetite for Change
- Art is My Weapon
- Be the Voice
- Circle of Discipline
- Conflict Resolution Center
- East African Integration Center
- Ghands, Inc.
- HAVEN International
- HIRED, Inc.
- La Oportunidad
- Lucy Laney Boxing Academy
- Me and My Sis-Stirs
- Metro Youth Diversion Center
- Minneapolis MAD DADS
- NAACP of Minneapolis
- Ostara Initiative
- Philando Castile Peace Garden
- Philando Castile Relief Foundation
- Pillsbury United Communities
- Plymouth Christian Youth
- Pollen Midwest
- Professional Firefighters Association
- Restorative Justice Community Action
- Seward Longfellow Restorative Justice
- Somali Action Alliance of Minnesota
- Strength Group
- The Price Dynamic
- Urban Ventures Leadership Foundation
You can find more information on The Minneapolis Foundation here.