Suspected case of HPAI found in Hennepin County
Officials say a suspected case of the Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza (HPAI) has been found in Hennepin County.
Hennepin County Emergency Management is urging residents to take a few steps to protect birds. Those steps include:
- Keeping poultry housing, feeders and waterers clean,
- Cleaning up feed left on the ground,
- Changing feed locations and times if wild birds are regularly present,
- Cleaning and disinfecting equipment that touches birds, including shovels and rakes,
- Evaluating cleaning practices.
The suspected case comes just a couple of days after the Minnesota Board of Animal Health confirmed HPAI in a Meeker County commercial turkey flock.
As of Friday, a total of 83 Minnesota sites had detected HPAI this year.
Minnesotans are urged to report any sick birds online.
More information on HPAI is also available online.