Student sent to hospital after being stabbed during fight at Minnetonka High School

Student hospitalized after stabbing at Minnetonka High School

Student hospitalized after stabbing at Minnetonka High School

A student at Minnetonka High School was brought to the hospital on Tuesday after being stabbed with an art tool during a fight.

A police report from the Minnetonka Police Department shows officers responded to a report of a stabbing inside the school just before 2 p.m.

The report stated that a student was stabbed by another student. The extent of the student’s injuries and the weapon the suspect used are unknown at this time.

“We come to school and think it’s a safe space and hearing about that, it shocked me,” said Minnetonka High School senior Charlie Palm.

A release from Jeff Erickson, the principal of Minnetonka High School, said the incident happened during period six of the day.

Erickson added that the incident was an isolated situation and only involved the two students. School staffers intervened immediately, while others stayed in the classroom to support students for the rest of the period.

“I hope that kids are getting the help they need if they’ve having issues with rage and mental health and stuff like that. I feel like that’s part of the problem,” Kate Mattson, parent, said.

Minnetonka Public Schools issued the following statement on Wednesday, “We had an altercation yesterday between two students in a class at our high school. One of the students was injured by an art tool the other student had in their hand. We called an ambulance to have the injured student evaluated. Our school resource officer is investigating the incident.”

Minnetonka Public Schools Superintendent David Law said in a statement, “The safety of our students and staff is always our top priority and will always remain so.”

Authorities aren’t saying what led up to the fight or the status of the alleged attacker. Parents say they understand the need for student privacy but would like to know more about what happened.

“Some people are scared you know, but I think most people who go to school know they’ve got it under control, hopefully not happen again,” said parent Charlie Wonhof.

The district says a school resource officer is leading the investigation. No arrests have been made at this time.