St. Louis Park High School closes Friday after 2 fights

Fights close St. Louis Park High School

Fights close St. Louis Park High School

St. Louis Park High School canceled classes and extracurricular activities Friday after two fights broke out at the school on Thursday.

According to a post on the school’s website, a fight involving two groups of students erupted at the end of the school day. Later, adults who did not work at the school but knew about the earlier fight got involved in another altercation.

St. Louis Park staff and law enforcement intervened to break up the later fight. Two women — 22-year-old Abreeha Smith and 41-year-old Latoys Milon — were arrested, police said. Both have been released from custody, and neither has been formally charged.

“Obviously my first reaction was actually to text and call my daughter to make sure she was OK,” said Dan Israel, who has a daughter at St. Louis Park High School. “She understandably, like everybody else, is upset and anxious about it.”

Some students and staff suffered scrapes and bruises, but no major injuries were reported. It’s unclear whether any weapons were involved, and the school said it was looking into whether the fights were “racially motivated.”

“Definitely crazy, never seen a fight that big before at St. Louis Park,” said Frankie Robello, who graduated from St. Louis Park High School last year. “There’s kind of always been fights here — definitely last year there was some — but I’m surprised to hear about school closing down the next day for sure.”

Police say a juvenile response officer responded to the situation. According to the school’s website, this is a new position since moving away from a school resource officer and they are not stationed in the schools.

“I think it’s unconscionable and absurd and maddening at this point that they haven’t figured out a way to get them back into the schools,” Israel said.

St. Louis Park High School was closed Friday for classes and activities — including the girl’s basketball game and sports practices — while staff investigated what happened. All other schools in the district held classes as usual.

Israel and other parents who spoke off-camera with 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS are pleading for this kind of behavior to stop.

“Our school is doing as good of a job as they can dealing with these kinds of things, but obviously, we want to make sure our kids are safe, and it doesn’t sound like things are as safe as they could be,” Israel said.

The school said it will have counselors on hand for students and will have “additional layers of safety” next week.