Propane tank explosion injures woman, 12-year-old son
A propane tank explosion left a mother and her child with burns that sent them to the hospital Sunday morning.
KSTP’s sister station in Duluth WDIO-TV reports deputies from the St. Louis County Sheriff’s Office responded to a report of a cabin fire caused by an explosion from a propane tank. This happened in the 11600 block of Countryside Lane in Balkan Township, which is north of Chisholm, around 10:43 a.m.
Investigators say the 20-pound propane tank was attached to a heater inside the cabin when it exploded, injuring the 37-year-old woman and her 12-year-old son.
The two were reportedly burned “over large portions of their bodies” but were able to get to a nearby neighbor’s home. An ambulance then took them to Hibbing Hospital for treatment.
The St. Louis County Sheriff’s Office and the State Fire Marshal are still investigating the explosion.