Complaint: Minneapolis stabbing suspect caused wounds that exposed victim’s intestines
Court documents show a man has been charged with assault following a weekend stabbing in Minneapolis.
According to a criminal complaint, 54-year-old Phillip Jellum has been charged with one count of second-degree assault with a dangerous weapon.
The complaint states officers were called to the 2400 block of Pillsbury Avenue South shortly after 7 a.m. Saturday.
When they arrived, officers found a man — who has not been identified except as being in his 30s — bleeding from his abdomen. They were also directed to Jellum, who told police “the knife is over there,” while pointing to a knife that is believed to have been used in the stabbing, according to the complaint.
The victim then told police that he and Jellum were sitting on the porch when Jellum began stabbing him in the abdomen “for no apparent reason.”
Documents say the victim thought he and Jellum were friends.
Although the complaint states the man’s stab wounds weren’t life-threatening, it adds he had been stabbed multiple times, and the wounds “were deep enough to expose his intestines.”
If convicted, Jellum faces a maximum sentence of seven years in prison and a fine of up to $14,000. At minimum, he must spend one year and one day behind bars.
During his first appearance Tuesday afternoon, a public defender was granted, and bail was set with no conditions for $50,000, and for $30,000 with conditions.
His next court appearance is scheduled for May 23.