Gas leak believed to have caused Jordan house explosion that injured 1
UPDATE 7/21/23 – A house explosion in Jordan late Thursday night has left one person injured.
The home, located on the 300 block of 1st Street East, is considered a complete loss following the explosion, which was called in around 8:30 p.m.
Authorities with the State Fire Marshal’s Office are just beginning to investigate the explosion. Currently, officials say they believe a natural gas leak caused the explosion to happen and add there’s no further danger in the neighborhood. They add there’s currently no suspicion of criminal activity.
Neighbors say it was otherwise a normal Thursday night and were doing things around the house and getting ready for bed.
However, one neighbor told 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS what happened next was utter mayhem.
“Just all of a sudden we heard an explosion outside. I ran downstairs, we thought a car hit the house. When we got downstairs, there was just wreckage everywhere, there was dusty smoke pouring out of the house. We didn’t know what to do,” said Ernest Hoagberg, a neighbor.
The good news is that while three people were inside at the time, only one person was hurt, and their injuries are considered minor.
Two dogs and six puppies were also inside the home. Both dogs and four of the puppies were safely removed from the home, but two puppies are unaccounted for.
A neighboring home and multiple vehicles were damaged as a result of the explosion, officials say.
INITIAL REPORT 7/20/23 – Authorities in Jordan are responding to a house explosion on 1st Street.
A 911 call came in around 8:30 p.m. Thursday reporting a house fire, but the call was later upgraded to a house explosion, according to a spokesperson for Jordan Police Department. The home was deemed a total loss.
Police believe the explosion was caused by a gas leak.
Three adults were inside the home at the time of the explosion, and one sustained minor injuries.
As of 9:15 p.m., two dogs were still inside the home. Police said they could hear the dogs moving around inside and are working on a rescue.