Faribault County to receive state disaster assistance

State disaster assistance has been authorized for Faribault County to help recover from damage sustained during a severe winter storm in December.

Gov. Tim Walz approved the aid on Thursday.

"As Minnesotans, it’s our duty to help out our neighbors when unexpected challenges arise," Walz said. "Our local governments are important partners in everything we do. That’s why we’re authorizing state disaster assistance in Faribault County to aid in their recovery from this storm."

Beginning on Dec. 23, the winter storm caused whiteouts, dangerous driving conditions, road closures, accidents and stranded motorists. Several jurisdictions lost electricity due to downed power poles and lines during the storm, and the county’s electrical infrastructure was significantly damaged, according to Walz’s office.

The State Disaster Assistance Contingency Account will cover 75% of eligible costs, which amounts to $357,578, Walz’s office said. Faribault County will be responsible for the remaining 25%. The Department of Public Safety division of Homeland Security and Emergency Management will work with county officials to provide help.