Eden Prairie High School lockdown lifted, football game moved to Saturday

A possible threat to a student led to a lockdown at an Eden Prairie school on Friday and disrupted after-school activities.

According to Eden Prairie Police, officers were notified of the possible threat at Eden Prairie High School at around 12:45 p.m.

The school was put in a “stay-put lockdown” while police investigated.

The district noted that classes continued as normal during the lockdown but nobody was allowed to enter the building.

Families were sent multiple messages from Principal Nate Gibbs as the situation unfolded.

The district tweeted just after 4 p.m. that police gave the all-clear and the lockdown was being lifted. No credible threat was found, police added.

The district also noted that all after-school activities Friday were canceled with the exception of the football game, which was postponed to Saturday at noon.

Gibbs sent two messages to families after the lockdown was lifted, noting the district can’t answer all questions but pledging to have additional resources available to those who want them.

We know this may have been a difficult time with complex emotions. We will have staff at school this afternoon and Monday to help students who need additional resources in processing the day’s events.

“You might have questions about this situation, how it happened, and what will happen moving forward. And we want to be honest that we will not be able to answer all of these questions because of data privacy laws limiting what we can share. What we can share is this was an isolated situation, the threats were specific to a limited group of people, and the police found them not to be credible. Moving forward, we will continue to work closely with our School Resource Officer, reiterate our safety expectations for our school, and follow procedures to hold people accountable for harm done to our learning community.

“Thank you for your patience and understanding as we managed this unexpected event.

Nate Gibbs, Eden Prairie High School principal

Police added that the circumstances around the threat will remain under investigation.