DNR: Walleye angling on Mille Lacs catch-and-release only in 2020
Walleye angling on Mille Lacs Lake will be catch-and-release only for the 2020 open water season, the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources said Tuesday.
The DNR said the lone exception to the rule will be in July when walleye fishing will be closed. Additionally, anglers won't be allowed to use live bait for any species in July, except sucker minnows over 8 inches long for targeting northern pike and musekellunge.
The restrictive walleye rule for the open water season is due in part to a record ice fishing season on Mille Lacs this winter, according to the DNR.
Other new rules issued by the DNR include:
- Immediate release of all smallmouth and largemouth bass greater than 17 inches during the harvest season that begins Saturday, May 23.
- Limit of three largemouth and smallmouth bass.
- Release all northern pike greater than 30 inches.
- Limit of three northern pike from Saturday, May 9, through Wednesday, March 31, 2021.
- Walleye season runs from May 9 through Nov. 30 this year.
You can find more about fishing regulations from the DNR here.