Coon Rapids fire caused by improperly discarded cigarette, 3rd case in past 2 weeks

The Coon Rapids Fire Department responded to a house fire early Tuesday morning.

The fire department said the house is located on the 500 block of 127th Lane Northwest. Fire officials say there was significant damage to the home and no injuries were reported. The fire started around 10:30 p.m. Monday.

The official cause was determined to be an improperly discarded cigarette butt in the backyard, which caught leaves on the patio on fire and spread to the house.

The fire department said this is the third case of an improperly disposed cigarette causing a fire in the past two weeks. They remind the public they can get a cigarette disposal container at the fire department.