Brooklyn Park man sentenced in 2019 north Minneapolis drive-by shooting
A Brooklyn Park man has been sentenced to 30 years in prison in connection to a fatal drive-by shooting that happened in 2019 in north Minneapolis.
According to court documents, 26-year-old Michael Lashone Ferguson has been convicted of second-degree murder in a drive-by shooting. He was acquitted of second-degree murder without intent as well as first-degree murder with intent. He will serve the remainder of his 30-year sentence, with 484 days counting towards time served.
A criminal complaint says authorities were called on the evening of Aug. 24, 2019, after reports of a shooting in the 2000 block of Aldrich Avenue. When officers arrived, they learned a victim had been taken to the hospital. The complaint says the victim—later identified as Watkins—died as a result of his injuries.
A witness later spoke to authorities and identified the gunman in the shooting as Ferguson.
Surveillance video from the area also showed Ferguson shoot at a group of men who had gathered on Aldrich Avenue, according to the complaint. Ferguson was later arrested in Milwaukee.