80 COVID-19 cases, 1 death reported in outbreak at Hastings Veterans Home
A COVID-19 outbreak at the Minnesota Veterans Home in Hastings has resulted in more than 80 infections and 1 death, according to the Minnesota Department of Veterans Affairs.
It’s the first outbreak at the Hastings Veterans Home since the beginning of the pandemic, MDVA officials said.
Most cases among residents and staff have been mild, and antiviral COVID-19 medications have been given when directed.
Residents have isolated in their rooms according to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines, and staff members have delivered meals to their doors. The veterans home is also making “adjustments” to activities and common area usage, MDVA said.
“We are thankful for the support our Veterans have provided to staff and one another throughout the outbreak, and as they have been diligent in doing their part to stay isolated and follow infection-prevention precautions,” MDVA said in a statement. “We are extremely proud of our staff as they continue to go above and beyond in order to provide great care for the Veterans we serve.”
Visitors have been asked to reschedule if possible, but they’re still allowed in with a COVID-19 screening, per Minnesota Department of Health guidelines.
An MDVA spokesperson said the outbreak started “several weeks ago” and is now “at the end phase.” No new cases were reported on Thursday, and there were less than 20 active cases as of Friday.
So far, 95% of 111 residents at the Hastings Veterans home have completed their initial COVID-19 vaccine series and got booster shots. The home was in the process of organizing a clinic for bivalent boosters, which offer better protection against the most prevalent strains of COVID-19.