Walz to deliver update on state response to COVID-19 pandemic
[anvplayer video=”4861913″ station=”998122″]
Friday, Gov. Tim Walz is expected to update Minnesotans on how the state is responding to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.
Earlier this week, Walz discussed a statewide lockdown, like the one currently underway in California.
He called that option a tool in his toolbox to help the state fight back against the virus, but said he’s not ready to use it yet.
State officials, though, are warily watching the continuing COVID-19 threat.
"Person-to-person transmission, that is our greatest concern for having COVID-19 spread in Minnesota," Kris Ehresmann, director of infectious disease for the Minnesota Department of Health, said earlier this week. "We know we can’t keep it out, it’s already here, but we’re trying to slow it down, so that our healthcare system and our infrastructure aren’t overwhelmed."
Walz said one of the biggest concerns mentioned going forward is the lack of testing supplies.
He said he’s made several requests recently, including a personal call to Vice President Mike Pence, for more COVID-19 tests and other items.
Friday, Walz will be joined by Homeland Security and Emergency Management Director Joe Kelly, with the Minnesota Department of Public Safety, as well as Department of Employment and Economic Development Commissioner Steve Grove and Ehresmann for the news conference at 2 p.m.
Stay with 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS and KSTP.com for that conference and updates.