MDH reports 32 new COVID-19 cases, bringing total to 169
[anvplayer video=”4863003″ station=”998122″]
In its daily report Sunday, The Minnesota Department of Health reported there are 32 new confirmed cases of COVID-19, bringing the total to 169 cases.
Approximately 4,680 test results have been reported in the state so far. There had been a backlog of about 800 tests, but that has since been eliminated.
On Saturday, MDH reported the first confirmed death in Minnesota related to COVID-19.
MDH officials said 34 health care workers have contracted the illness but most of those cases have been travel-related. They also said they’re starting to see more household clusters.
Right now 10 patients are in hospitals being treated for COVID-19. Seven patients have been able to leave the hospital, and as of Saturday, 38 people have been able to leave isolation.
Counties with at least one positive test include Anoka, Benton, Blue Earth, Carver, Cass, Chisago, Clay, Dakota, Dodge, Filmore, Hennepin, Jackson, Le Sueur, Martin, Mower, Nicollet, Olmsted, Ramsey, Renville, Rice, Scott, Stearns, St. Louis, Steele, Wabasha, Waseca, Washington and Wright.
The MDH said because of Gov. Tim Walz’s executive order to cancel elective surgeries, many people have gone to the emergency room for dental emergencies. In these cases, health department officials recommend that people contact their dentists and avoid coming to the ER.
Dentists have been asked to make their offices available for emergencies and to provide emergent care. More information is available on the Board of Dentistry’s website.
The MDH is also urging people to donate blood. Officials say health care providers are in desperate need and there is no danger in donating. Anyone who is healthy and able to donate is encouraged to call their local blood center.