Gov. Walz extends peacetime emergency
Gov. Tim Walz on Monday signed an executive order extending Minnesota’s peacetime emergency for 30 days.
The governor originally declared a peacetime emergency to respond to the COVID-19 pandemic on March 13, one week after the state’s first positive case and two days before the state’s first case by community spread. By March 17, all 50 states had reported a positive case of COVID-19, and on March 21 Minnesota confirmed its first fatality due to COVID-19.
"Our actions have saved lives, but the threat of COVID-19 remains," said Walz. "The next stages of this pandemic are going to challenge us – an extension of Minnesota’s peacetime emergency will allow us to protect Minnesotans’ health and well-being and continue to respond effectively to this rapidly-evolving situation."
Last week, Walz announced he was extending the state’s ‘stay at home’ order until May 4.
The extension of the peacetime emergency is necessary to continue many of the steps taken to curb the spread of the virus, Walz’s office said.