Culinary and Brand Director from Kowalski’s Markets, Rachael Perron, creates a Monday Night Meal that’s a staple in many families. But this lasagna is made in a skillet!
1 tbsp. Kowalski’s Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 lb. ground Italian sausage
2 tsp. minced fresh garlic
2 tsp. Kowalski’s Signature Pizza Seasoning
½ cup dry red wine
1 tsp. Kowalski’s Organic Beef Broth Base, dissolved in 1 cup water
16 oz. Kowalski’s Signature Pomodoro Sauce
14 oz. can Kowalski’s Italian Peeled Tomatoes
8 curly lasagna noodles (not no-boil noodles), broken into 1″ pieces
1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1 cup whole-milk ricotta cheese
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add sausage; cook and crumble until meat is no longer pink (6-8 min.).
- Add the garlic and pizza seasoning; cook and stir 1 min.
- Stir in wine; cook 1 min.
- Stir in broth, sauce and tomatoes; cook and stir about 1 min., breaking up tomatoes with a spoon.
- Add noodles, pushing them under the surface of the liquid.
- Cook and stir occasionally until noodles are tender, keeping as many of the noodles submerged in liquid as possible (if needed, add a bit of hot water to keep noodles covered). Stir to keep noodles from sticking to one another.
- When noodles are done, stir in about ½ of the mozzarella cheese until melted (about 1 min.).
- Dollop the ricotta cheese over the lasagna with a spoon; do not stir. Top with remaining mozzarella.
- Place skillet under a preheated broiler until the cheese is golden-brown in spots (about 2 min.). Let stand at least 5 min. before serving.