Blackened Teres Major Steaks w/Asparagus & Composed Butter
The Minnesota Beef Council and the Minnesota Pork Board have teamed up for “12 Days of Grilling!” Chef John Van House kicks us off with a recipe for Blackened Teres Major Steaks with Asparagus & Composed Butter.
1 each (about 2 #) Teres Major
Cajun seasoning (as needed)
1 bunch Asparagus
2 Tbsp Olive oil
2 sticks Butter
¼ cup Shallots minced
2 Tbps Garlic minced
1 tsp Salt
Black pepper (as needed)
2 Tbsp Parsley fine chop
1 each Lemon Juice
1 each Lemon zest minced
1 Tbsp Worcestershire
For the butter:
- Bring butter to room temperature before starting
- Mince garlic, shallots, lemon zest and parsley
- Place butter in a mixing bowl with paddle attachment and add minced vegetables.
- Mix on low for 30 seconds
- Continue mixing the butter and slowly add the juice of 1 lemon, Worcestershire, salt and pepper to the butter and mix 30 seconds.
- Place butter on parchment paper in a long line and roll to create a rod of butter.
- Wrap with plastic and refrigerate
For the steak and asparagus:
- Pat dry the steaks and season with Cajun seasoning
- Place steaks onto a preheated grill (hot-we intend to blacken the steak) 500 degrees F
- Rotate the steaks 60 degrees after 3-4 minutes
- Flip steaks and cook to desired temperature
- Remove the steaks from the grill and allow to rest for 15 minutes before cutting and serving
- While the steaks rest, oil the asparagus with the olive oil and season with salt and pepper
- Grill the asparagus on a hot grill for 1 minute, rotate them and finish cooking-total cook time for the asparagus should be 3 minutes or less.
- Place asparagus onto a service plate
- Slice the butter into discs
- Slice the steaks into medallions against the grain
- Top the steak and asparagus with butter