Report: Twins' Miguel Sano undergoes surgical procedure; could be out until May

Minnesota Twins third baseman Miguel Sano (22) walks back to the dugout after striking out against the Texas Rangers during the eighth inning of a baseball game, Saturday, Sept. 1, 2018, in Arlington, Texas. Photo: (AP Photo/Michael Ainsworth)
Minnesota Twins third baseman Miguel Sano (22) walks back to the dugout after striking out against the Texas Rangers during the eighth inning of a baseball game, Saturday, Sept. 1, 2018, in Arlington, Texas.

March 05, 2019 03:43 PM

Twins third baseman Miguel Sano reportedly underwent a surgical procedure on Tuesday at Mayo Clinic that could shelf the slugger until at least May, according to Twins executive president Derek Falvey. 

Falvey told reporters that Sano underwent a debridement procedure on his right Achilles area Tuesday morning.

Advertisement

The surgery was done to help accelerate the healing process on the cut which has kept him out in spring training. The team had Sano fly back to Minnesota on Monday due to concerns about the slow rate at which the cut was healing. 


More from KSTP:

'Big Mike' eyes successful comeback bid with Twins

KSTP Sports' Twins spring training preview


The injury, which the Twins third baseman suffered during a celebration of his Dominican Winter League team's championship, is reportedly a horizontal cut behind his achilles tendon. 

Sano will be in a walking boot again for at least the next few weeks before resuming baseball activities in mid-April, Falvey told reporters on Tuesday. Falvey went on to say he hopes the former All-Star will "return to the Twins in May."

The Twins said last month that they considered the injury to be a minor issue, but Sano has not participated in any full-squad workouts during spring training.

Sano, 25, had been hoping to bounce back from an injury-plagued 2018 season during which he batted a career-low .199 with 13 home runs in just 71 games.

Connect with KSTP


Join the conversation on our social media platforms. Share your comments on our Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter pages.

Credits

Tommy Wiita

Copyright 2019 - KSTP-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company

Advertisement

Crews rescue Minnesota restaurant diners after flooding

DOJ: Trump campaign did not coordinate with Russia in 2016

Mississippi River nearing moderate flood stage

Family believes body found in Roseville belongs to missing Stillwater man

Flash flooding damages Waite Park restaurant

Barr weighs how much of Trump-Russia report to release

Advertisement