Woman Stabbed Multiple Times in Uptown on Walk Home from Work

December 17, 2017 11:37 PM

Witnesses say they rushed to help a woman who was stabbed at least 14 times in an attack in the Uptown area of Minneapolis Wednesday night. 

Twenty-six-year-old Morgan Evenson is now resting at her home in Uptown after she was attacked on the corner of West 32nd Street and Fremont Avenue South about 10 p.m. that evening, according to Patrick Stellick, Evenson's fiance.


UPDATE: Woman Stabbed 14 Times Speaks About Ordeal

Stellick told KSTP that Evenson was walking home on Fremont after leaving her job at the Apple store on Hennepin Avenue when the suspect tackled her from behind. Evenson fought back, Stellick said.

"She fought him, and that's when he started stabbing her repeatedly," he said. "And then neighbors who heard her screaming for help came to assist, and that is when the suspect ran away."

Stellick said Evenson suffered serious injuries, but is now resting at home and expected to make a full recovery. 

"She suffered a lacerated kidney and multiple stab wounds on her arms and upper body, but doctors said her strong health and a winter parka probably saved her life," Stellick said.

Seth Viebrock, who lives on Fremont Avenue, said he heard screams and went out the front door of his house to see Evenson fending off her attacker.

"It was a bit frightening, but I did not have time to be too afraid because I could see he was stabbing her," Viebrock said. "And so I just ran toward him and started yelling, hoping that would work, and as I got closer the man ran away."

Viebrock said the neighborhood is generally safe, and that he does not plan to do anything differently after witnessing the attack. He praised Evenson for her strength and courage.

"She was clearly fighting back and she told me she was trying to hit him 'where it counts,'" he said, adding, "she was not going to let him get away with it, and she remained conscious pretty much until the time paramedics arrived at my house."

Minneapolis Police Sgt. Darcy Horn said no one has been arrested, and that no information on a suspect is available.

A GoFundMe page has been established in Evenson's name.


Jay Kolls

Copyright 2018 - KSTP-TV, LLC A Hubbard Broadcasting Company


Man pleads guilty to manslaughter after leaving son in hot vehicle at CHS Field

St. Paul police investigating homicide in Payne-Phalen neighborhood, suspect at large

New rules at state film board prevent rebate similar to Fallon's

Ilhan Omar: Go to Israel, see 'cruel reality of the occupation'

Moorhead police ask for public's help locating missing 14-year-old

Planned Parenthood leaves federal family planning program